Thursday, January 4, 2018

Even the stupid demons...

Anytime Jesus is in the same place as the devil, or God is in the same place as satan (as in Job), I'm a bit confused, and yet excited, about what-the-what is going on. Confused because it's hard to understand how good and evil can collide in one space, the presence of the former encroached upon by the latter; I struggle at times with the weight of the existential thinking it evokes in me... the "problem of evil" conundrums, etc. But reading it as literature, and adding in faith and hope, I begin to see our God in the presence of evil as a thrilling scene; it's the drama behind every exciting plot, and it's the setting for the war we know we have already won. I can feel the adrenaline rush through me, my heart pounding for Jesus.

In one of these moments in scripture, I noticed something that I haven't noticed as clearly before: something helpful.

Luke 4:10 - "The devil said... 'For it is written'," and then he quoted scripture.
Luke 4:33 - "A man possessed by a demon... cried out... I know who you are: the Holy One of God!"
Luke 4:41 - "...demons came out of many people, shouting, 'You are the Son of God!'"

I have always remembered that "even the demons believe," but to me, this always meant that believing is not the same as worshipping. I took the statement so personally; I only allowed it to convict me and encourage me to move beyond belief. I suppose I never took the time to stop and imagine what it could mean for me as someone who needs to discern, as Jesus did in the wilderness... between voices that appear to be preaching the scriptures, speaking the truth, and even proclaiming His true name, as opposed to voices that are actually powerfully good. Because sometimes, these voices can seem to be saying the same things, and it takes wisdom to know the difference: wisdom that only comes from knowing Jesus. His heart. His motives. His vision. His voice.

Jesus in the wilderness proves that even quoting scripture can be a form of evil. For when the devil encourages Jesus to throw Himself down and call upon the angels, as the scriptures say He is able, He refuses; inches down the page, he provides His own "it is written," clarifying that His purpose is not to show off, or reveal the full power He yields as God, but to "proclaim good news to the poor... freedom for the prisoners... sight for the blind... to set the oppressed free." He knows which words apply, and in what moment, and in what way, when it comes to establishing truth and fulfilling the perfect plans of God. We should learn, therefore, that merely saying "it is written" or "the Bible says," doesn't guarantee that we stand on the side of Him. Even the demons believe; they whisper scriptures in our ears and speak true sentiments in false ways, as they oppose the work of the Spirit. I know this because I've heard their whispers, and right now, I'm ready to say no. What I heard then was wrong. I refuse every single bit of it, and I rest completely in the peace of God that was given as a gift long before I ever heard these weak and pathetic lies about the smallness of God in matters of saving His children. 


God, free me from deception, and I pray the same for any of my friends who need the same freedom tonight. Once again, you are so much stronger, and so much lovelier... and when I fail to see, you never fail to take my eyes and open them wider... to take my ears and open them farther. I hear you, and I am grateful to be yours. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful Christ has given you discernment and that He opens your eyes wider to see His goodness.

    ReplyDelete