Saturday, January 6, 2018

Withdrawing

"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." -Luke 5:16

"Often," it says. While He could have continued teaching and healing more and more people in the crowd, He chose to retreat often. God knows, He had all the power, strength, and energy to spend every second in the midst of those who were hurting... but He didn't. He intentionally set these seconds, minutes, hours, and maybe even days aside. 

Is this about rest, as in the seventh day, or is it a detail that teaches us something else?

Perhaps Jesus meant to teach us about the importance of solitude for cultivating intimacy with God. Perhaps He meant to show us that resting from the masses, stepping aside to lonely places where we can pray, is not something to rush through as a mere necessitated recharge, but rather, rest is part of the work: it's important. And, even in the working, there are these words from God, present as a part of so many declarations throughout the scriptures: "I will." I will do this, and I will do that. Whatever Jesus did not do, while He was off praying, is not worth considering. Because He was doing exactly what He should have been doing; I bet He never felt bad about it or wondered when He might be getting back to work. I bet He knew that God would handle it all.



I don't want to say much more on this, except that I am thinking about withdrawing more often to lonely places where I can pray. Maybe then, I'll have more to share: more wisdom regarding Luke 5:16.

God, help me to withdraw this year, especially. Help me to seek you out in lonely places, and give me words to pray. Guide me in pursuing You, and open my heart up to the right now that matters, no matter tomorrow's demands. 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful insight into Jesus and His desires for our relationship with God. I, too, have felt a pull for solitude with God but I haven't been doing that work. I let myself get distracted or think I don't have to be so intentional with the solitude part. I pray the same prayer for myself. Thank you for providing the words, Amber.

    ReplyDelete